Friday 10 May 2013

Spring Expo Goodies Post #4

Back to the Expo stuff!
Another one of the hits I picked up at the show was this beauty from this year's GQ set. A nice relic of a Hall of Fame knuckler. I think, at $5.00, this was my most expensive purchase of the day, and that's probably comparable to what I'd shell out on ebay for it when shipping would be figured in. When I looked at the non-Mets or Jays in the set that had hits, this was the one that stood out most on the checklists.
I haven't quite figured out why I can't resist pulling Joe Charboneau cards from boxes.
I didn't really pull a lot of shiny cards from the boxes. But this was one of them. A lot of my baseball purchases were of the quasi throwback variety. Archives. Fan Favorites. GQ. Heritage. Etc. Etc.

Speaking of Fan Favorites, here's a couple of those.
Both of these were definitely subjects you don't expect to see immortalized on cardboard. OK. You could make an argument for Ernie Harwell and I'd buy into seeing in a subset for announcers, such as with Cooperstown. Marvin Miller, on the other hand was a definite shocker to see in the box.
One of my collecting goals for the year was to acquire a single Desert Shield card. I didn't care which player it was, I just wanted one. For 2 dimes, I got one, although I can't say I know too much about the subject. Dave Anderson but it still fits into one of my goals.
And to wrap up today's post. 1 of 2 basketball cards I picked up. That's still one more than the football cards I grabbed.

2 comments:

  1. Ditto. I remember Joe being the bomb in the early 80's. He ruled Baseball Digest for a good year.

    ReplyDelete