Monday 6 June 2016

Getting Crowned

Usually when I get crowned, it means a box/pack of one of Panini's King or Crown related product didn't really go well. In this case, it is a good thing, as a cheap pick-up of the Senators in a case break of 2013-14 Crown Royale. Despite the fact these three guys are no longer Sens, I still added some nice cards to my binders.
Derek Grant appeared semi regularly in sets in early 2013 releases, so I was somewhat surprised I hadn't added a hit of his yet. Now I have, and it is a really red one with it being the ruby parallel /99.
Eric Gryba, OTOH, has a few cards in my collection. This, however,is easily the best, with a three colour patch accompanying the on-card autograph. The patch itself might be hidden by the silhouette, but it works where the patch follows the player's photo almost perfectly down the side.
And to wrap this up, one of my favourite designs available for a hit with the Scratching the Surface auto. I guess it is on-card as well. Sorta. The card does remind me of the 20-20 hindsight horrible Conacher for Ben Bishop trade, At least Gryba and Grant are still playing on this side of the Atlantic. But it is still a Sens hit for that binder, and a great card concept.

And there you have it.

2 comments:

  1. Still my favorite team logo in all of sports! I like the Scratching the Surface auto as well. Is the ice portion of the card clear plastic? Looks like it might be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the concept of those Scratching the Surface autos. I've written about them a few times on my blog. Not usually a fan of sticker autos, but when they look like these and are embedded into the card... they're okay in my book.

    ReplyDelete