Wednesday 9 January 2013

Shoebox Legends Draft goodies

I'd highlighted the bonus cards yesterday. Today, the meat of the draft.
1st round - 2007-08 Upper Deck SPX Winning Combos Phaneuf/MacInnis Dual Relic. I've always been a fan of Al Macinnis, so this was an easy first pick. I've loved Al since he played OHL hockey in Kitchener. He helped bring home a Memorial Cup in 1982 on a team that also included fellow future Hall of Famer Scott Stevens, as well as future veteran NHLers in Brian Bellows, John Tucker, Mike Hough and Wendell Young. Fun fact via wikipedia - Wendell is the only player to win a Memorial, Turner, Calder and Stanley Cup. As for Al, I even got to see him put home 5 goals in a single OHL game - still a record for blueliners across the CHL.
2nd round - 2010-11 Panini Threads Avery Bradley RC Jersey #'d/399. Probably a bit high, but I like the Celtics and am really glad to see him back on the court again. I'd love to know why the Celtics green scans so blandly.
3rd round - 2008 Upper Deck Heroes Scott Rolen Light Blue Jersey #'d/200. I really couldn't go too wrong adding a Blue Jays relic to my collection. Although Rolen didn't have a memorable run in Toronto, it's nice that it is still one of a fairly good player.
4th round - 2004 Bowman Heritage Tim Welke Official Umpire Autograph/ Since I really love offbeat cards, it was time to pick up one of the more unique items in the draft. I'm probably one of a handful of people that would be happier pulling a card like this from a pack than many players outside of those on my favourite teams.
5th round - 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee Jonas Hiller Retro Rainbow Parallel #'d/100. Again, probably a bit higher than it should be, but it is a nice card for the mask binder if I ever decide that I'm going to put all the hits in the front of it.
6th round - 2008-09 Upper Deck Matt D'Agostini Young Guns RC. The only Young Gun card I came away with in the draft. And a decent enough player as well.
7th round - 1953 Bowman Color Solly Hemus. At this point, I noted that the Daily Dimwit was drafting all the 52 Bowmans in the draft. So, I altered my list to be sure I ended up with at least one, someone who would go on to be a rare player/manager in future years.
8th round - 2008-09 Upper Deck Artifacts Silver Spectrum Nathan Horton #'d/10. It's really hard to pass on any card /10, even if I'd rather he be in a Bruins uniform on the card as opposed to a Panthers one.
9th round - 2008 Upper Deck Ballpark Collection Callix Crabbe Auto. I'd miss out on a Young Guns of Ilya Zubov later in the draft - I wasn't going to miss out on the other candidate for the 2-14 binder. This one can join the hits on the first page of the binder and it is my first autograph on it, surrounded by 7 relics (with a Viktor Kozlov on the way from COMC).
10th round - 1974-75 Topps Penalty Minute Leaders. THE HAMMER!
11th round - 1979-80 Topps Bobby Smith RC. This is the third time one of the cards with some variant of that design has appeared in this recap. Not the last time either. A nice rookie card for a veteran NHLer.
12th round - 2009-10 Fleer Ultra Ultra Uniformity Rick DiPietro Relic. I believe this is my first swatch of orange in my relic binders. Or this could go in the mask binder due to a decent view of DiPietro's POW-MIA mask. Neither binder really cares about insane contracts.

Edit: My second orange swatch - I've got one of Keith Primeau.
13th round - Pinnacle Be a Player Joel Otto Autograph. A nice autograph of a veteran player.
14th round - 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee Retro Blank Back Martin Straka. I didn't have any blank back cards in my binders, so I picked up this one in a late round. It's also among the last cards for another veteran.
15th round - 2000 Topps Michael Young RC. I'd grabbed one of two Michael Young Jays cards in the Diamond King draft. This was the one I missed out on, so it was a perfect late round pick.
16th round - 2009-10 Upper Deck Rookie Materials Ivan Vishnevskiy Relic. A relic card of a guy who only played 5 NHL games. Why not?
17th and final round - #1 - Press Pass Legends Robert Parish. Wrapping things up with a card of the Chief. It's hard for a Celts fan to pass on this one when it is still sitting there.

Whew.

Thanks for the fun draft, and for the addition of several unique cards to my binders!

1 comment:

  1. You drafted pretty well I have to say! Glad you enjoyed it, maybe I'll do another one someday once I build up a backlog of cards I'm looking to get rid of...

    ReplyDelete