Sunday 13 January 2013

December Show Dime Box Goodies - Part 5

I'm finally finished with the mailbag, just in time to send some fresh packages out on Monday. For now, back to some dime box scores from a month ago.

And let's meet the Mets. I'm going through these in the order I find them in the box.

If I don't have one of his cards, it is really hard for me to pass on any John Franco card, especially anything from a dime bin. It is numbered out of 4500, but I really don't care much about that.

How about a meeting of the "Ks"?
Next up from the dime box, typically nutty 1998 Metal Universe card of one of my favourite Mets - Edgardo Alfonzo. I like the ones with city scenes on them more than ones that feature the player running from spaceships.
I've got several 1987 cards of Kevin Mitchell, and had no reservations about sacrificing a dime to get a 1986 card of one part of that famous rally in the '86 World Series.
Tom Seaver is another guy I can't pass on if I find his card in a dime bin. The Mets uniform is just a bonus when coming across one of his cards.
10 cents for a Sportflics of Gary Carter. I'll take that any day of the week.
I'll also very gladly pay a dime for a nice glossy card that flashbacks to one of my favourite sets of all time, the Stadium Club debut set. I'm just disappointed that the back doesn't match the classic set. That would give a surreal cardboard moment of a card that highlights a rookie card that is more recent than the set it is saluting. If that makes sense. I just would not want to be the one that had to diagram that sentence.
To quote that great thinker and philosopher of the Looney Tunes universe, Charlie Dog: "I'm gonna have a Piazza!"
"I'm gonna have a Piazza!"
An Al Leiter card with Alois as the signature? Sure thing.
Another one of those SPX cards. This time an ultra-limited card to only 9000!
Finally, Action Packed goodness of Canadian Baseball Hall of Famer Le Grand Orange!

3 comments:

  1. Oh man that Leiter is schweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some more great finds there! I think my favorite of the bunch has to be the '84 Donruss Seaver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a hardcore handshake between Gooden and Clemens. Mitchell and Seaver looking boss.

    Nice.

    ReplyDelete