Thursday 9 May 2024

Expo Post 8: Actual Hockey

 No PC connection here. Just some misc. cards I picked up that interested me.

Let's start with a trip back to 1991 - the time where holograms ruled the card collecting world. 
The obligatory patriotic entry.
You might see it in baseball cards frequently. But you don't see a lot of hockey cards where the featured player is wearing glasses. 
But it is the greatness of a Between the Pipes that provided the oldest photograph among my pick-ups, with one that dates back to the late 1930s.
There is no such thing as a bad card that features the Stanley Cup. 
Not only is this one of a handful of cards that commemorate Jari Kurri's time with the Mighty Ducks, but the card comes from some sort of game set. 
Houston Aeros era Gordie Howe! Although for some reason, the Red Wings logo is on the back of the card. They do the same for his Whalers entry in this tribute set.
Speaking of relocated former WHA teams, here's a pair of Nordiques cards. I did not envision Randy Moller as a player appearing in  a 2010s release, but I appreciate the variety. 
A couple of my favourite photos from Series 2.
Alternate uniforms! My fave is easily the Devils/Rockies mash up. 
And that's it for the singles. But I still have one more Expo thing to show off, a box of 22-23 Ice I picked up, and got some bonus packs along with it. Best of all closing with this, it hints at the Minnesota Wild card I landed that made me smile.

There you have it!



1 comment:

  1. A. I loved the Hologram Era. I'm still looking for a bunch of non-sports ones I missed from back in the day.

    B. I was obsessed with that Playoff One on One game. I didn't actually play it, but I was trying to build the set.

    ReplyDelete