Tuesday 20 August 2013

Less than $20.00 at a card show - Part 2

Again, the joy of staying to a budget.

OK. 50 cents might be too much to pay for a base card. But when the card is as spectacular as this, and a sure thing for your keeper binder, you've got to spend a smidgen more than you normally would. Plus, I could have paid for it there, or headed home to pick it up off sportlots, and then kept adding cards until shipping became more reasonable. This seemed like a better idea.
Just a great throwback card of H. Sedin rocking the Vancouver Millionaires jersey. And something I didn't know until I bothered to wiki the team. Jon Mikl Thor once owned the Millionaires name and logo. For you MSTies out there, that's the guy from Zombie Nightmare. There should have been a card of someone posing by the Twist & Creme.
I grabbed pretty much all the Sens base set from OPC, unable to find only the Chris Phillips. I'm highlighting the now former Sen in Benoit, since I also picked up a second card of his for my Kitchener Rangers alumni collection. He was yet another member of the Memorial cup winning team in 2003 to reach the bigs.
Speaking of Sens OPC base, I'd love to why there's no Jason Spezza in the base. There's this sticker. There's a glossy. No base card. What the hell?
But another new Spezza card for his PC is always welcome. Here's an insert from 2008 that highlights his background in Mississauga. Think the 2011 Hometown Heroes for Ginter, and you've got this insert set.
And my current favourite name in hockey, at least when it comes to my inner Beavis.
Why should I let something as simple as his departure from the team stop me from picking up a new card of his?
A trio of new cards for my masks binder. Congrats, Wade. You made the forgettable Islanders fisherman logo look completely and totally badass. Bonus: There's a callback to the team's 80's glory years on the side of the mask.
Hits? A few more of those as well. I picked up a Denny Lambert card on sportlots a couple weeks back, and was disappointed to see that although he was wearing a Sens uniform, he was listed as being with Nashville. Since the swatch they used for the hits was a Sens uniform, and he was listed as being with the Senators, and the same photo was used on those cards, I'm comfortable calling this my first Denny Lambert Ottawa card.
And to wrap up the awesome, here's an auto of the Grim Reaper himself, Stu Grimson. A great lunatic in hockey's history, and the man who gave the world this quote:

"That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."—Stu Grimson, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker.

How could I not shell out a toonie for one of his autos?

That's it for this show's goodies. There's more cards, but you'll have to watch for other people's posts to see them.

1 comment:

  1. I agree on the name, there's nothing like a good Grant to get me motivated!!

    A great pickup on the Grimson auto btw..

    ReplyDelete