Thursday 29 June 2023

Misery loves Mets

 I knew I'd have to show off all the Mets content in the most recent COMC mailer at some point. Why not now, following yet another loss?

There isn't too much in here - in fact there will be only 5 cards total in this post. But they all deserve to be displayed. This was one of only two true base cards here. It looks random, but this provides one of the better looks at a pair of shoulder patches. The first being the very obvious one for the 40th anniversary of Shea Stadium, and the second being the Tug McGraw memorial patch. 

Show 'em your Tug McGraw, Frank! 

That patch in the Benson photo would have been an even better lead in to this card featuring Shea Stadium if they'd used a photo from the earlier days of the stadium as opposed to the later days of it. I probably could find out exactly what year this is from, but I'll just lament that vintage would have been so much nicer.
Here's the other base card. There's proof you can have an interesting photo on the base of a higher-end card. I'm looking disapprovingly in the direction of...pretty much any company that produces cards.
Negro League Throwbacks! Yeah! Even better for my PC, this looks like it was from a game against Toronto, so it pairs nicely with a similar Jose Cruz Jr card that I landed ages ago from a repack. 
Considering I busted so little (if any?) 2022 Update, it isn't surprising this my first Ottavino Mets card. Surprising was that the numbered green parallel was the cheapest at COMC at the time. (Still is as I type this)
Local content to end the post! Ziegler was a second rounder in 2021, and his time in the minors hasn't been the best. 0-6 with a 4.44 ERA in 2022, and injured all of this year. Because why should anything about this team make me optimistic? 

But there you have it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment