Tuesday 10 January 2023

2023 Adventures in Repacks - Part 2.1 - A Week of Surprises

I still have a bunch of repacks left over from last year, so I'll plow through a bunch of them this week with 3, maybe 4 Surprise bags, depending on how lazy I am when it comes to scanning.

First up, a basketball one, with these contents:

And we're off!

At least one of the cards isn't from the early 90s. All 3 of these players had reached the 15K point plateau by the time these cards were available in packs. So there's that.

Here's the 90s stuff. There's a couple interesting cards here. Drawn card!  I had no idea how blurry Anthony Mason was in the earlier years of his career. The David Wood is an interesting photo. There are a lot of cards with photos of a player running up the court, but seeing them do so without the ball isn't that common. And Cherokee Parks is a fun name to say out loud.
The 2010s. Yup. Kinda blah. At least Gooden has colourful borders. And the Green has those tiny shorts. that despite being a 2010s card, are definitely not 2010-ish. Still, pretty boring.
And here's the card from the Memorabilia repack. 
But despite the front of the card claiming it was Game Worn, the back of the card does seem to imply that it really only made its appearance in one of the Saturday events, and not the actual game. But at least that's still more accurate than "not from any specific game, event or season". 
Spud! Seeing a player running up court without the ball might be a rarity, but seeing the pre-game stretch on a card might be ever rarer. I've been seeing a good number of these 1981s lately in these Presstine repacks, and I'm all for it. Askia Jones is this repack's example of a player I had absolutely no memories whatsoever of. But he did still manage 11 more NBA appearances than I have.

With the Richardson, a couple interesting photos and a hit is enough to make this a pretty good repack experience.

Football is the next one! 

There you have it!

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen the USBL set before. That's the star of the pack for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about that 1992-93 Upper Deck Tim Hardaway card with the Coliseum Arena in the background. It's so cool. I didn't open any packs of that product, but figure I would have seen it at some point in a dime box or something.

    ReplyDelete