Monday 13 March 2017

Basketball Catch-Up

With a new package from COMC on the way, I should probably get to the ones that have been sitting in the COMC "to-be-posted" box for months. Time to finish off the basketball portion of that box.
Take the 1965 baseball design, apply it to one of the greatest of all time, throw in a the MSG roof and him playing against another great player, and you've got a beautiful card.
I guess you could have added a cartoon on the back to make it even better, but beggars...choosers and all that.
If Ron Jeremy and George 'the Animal' Steele had a baby.
I love when summer league uniforms make their way onto base cards. The best thing is that despite sporting a Warriors jersey here, he was on the Jazz be the time this card went to press. After a stop in Denver, he's now wearing Golden State colours again.
Sure, this is just a player-worn relic, but that's the first time that particular colour has made is way to my relic collection.
I'm not sure this is a penmanship card, despite the card's subset trying to put it in that direction. Still, this is an interesting signature. I like how the first T continues on to create the S in last name, and that continues with the second T is his last name into the E. Creativity in an auto can be important, as long as it remains legible.
To end it, here's a future Raptors coach from his playing days. Since I already have a card of his as Raptors coach from Topps Total, this can into the misc. basketball collection along with Tiago, even though both have respectable autos.

And there you have it.

3 comments:

  1. Man I'm not a basketball guy at all but I NEED to find myself a copy of that Bill Russell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get me the rest of those Russell cards. I've gotten three of them now but not that one. I got one of the green Hawks relics (my first, as well) in my last COMC order...I got a Jason Terry wearing jersey in the throwback green when they were wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bill Russell card is very cool - I'll have to look into some Archives-style basketball cards. That Neal Walk is glorious.. 70s cards are such a trip. Nice autographs, too. Splitter's is interesting, and Mitchell's looks fancy, like it should be on an important document.

    ReplyDelete