Thursday 16 April 2020

2020 Adventures in Repacks: Part 16.1

Remember the baseball repacks sent my way in a previous mailbag? Time to bust one of 'em!
I'm scanning everything this time instead of listing everything, because this seemed like the lazier of the two options. It is a nice start with the Mets card finishing 3rd here, behind an always nice appearance of a 1981 design, and a great photo on Palacios.
OK. These repacks are officially great. 2 Fleer Greats of the Game cards back-to-back. Including my first Jim Thorpe card. Once again, the Mets card easily gets third place. That McCovey is pretty nice as well. The Mets card might even fall out of the top three with the greatness of a dude named Schwindenhammer.
I got Bipped!
The Tucker is a rather gimmicky photo, but it is still cool, and nicely framed with the flagpole and the wall sandwiching the player. I don't think I ever pulled a 70s card from one of these I bought here, so that makes me think they're exporting the better repacks. Boo!
It has to end with something, and this is a pretty good way to end it. Appropriate that a repack from P-Town Top would provide a run of Cubbies. I seriously had no memory of Tommy John  as a member of Oakland. Another pair of 1981s in this final group are also welcome, especially featuring the Expos tri-colour cap.

And there you have it! 40 more cards tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. The last group is my favorite. A 7x Gold Glove CF, the 1980 NL batting champ, a Hall of Famer, and a guy with a surgery named after him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an A's fan and I don't remember John pitching for the A's... but I did see that card this morning while I was digging through my collection looking for some Rickey Henderson cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seth Schwindenhammer? Check the back, I think he played in my high school's conference, but that's probably before I was coaching baseball. Bartonville or Peoria for his birth place?
    The '81 Candy Man is excellent and I can't believe there was a Jim Thorpe in there!
    You're right, the Tucker is kinda gimmicky, but how about the 1st Edition "Boomer" Wells. Nice.
    The Bill Buckner is a solid get. I actually just picked that one up for my '82 Topps set build.
    Thanks for sharing the results! I look forward to seeing more. :)

    ReplyDelete