Thursday 1 August 2024

Forgotten Packs - Part 1

I came across another small cache of packs, all of the baseball variety, that I'd acquired at some point, but never posted. I'm not sure if these were from repacks, the LCS, or somewhere else, but I'm going to start going through them. First up, the 3 packs with the most cards, going from fewest to most.
All the way back to 1994 for this one.
The middle row provides a couple additions to PCs, with Quantrill bound for my CanCon collection, and a more obvious Jays entry. Darrin Jackson gives the photo most likely to be recycled into an unlicensed set. Other than that, lots of junk wax mainstays - Bosio, Devereaux, Gallego.
Remember Vince Coleman's stint with the Royals? I didn't until I got this card. Chad Ogea had the most unfortunate last name pronunciation at the time. Apparently, it was enough to fool Manny Ramirez.
Speaking of unlicensed releases...
If they'd done the entire players portion of the set like the Utley or the Buck, they might have been able to get away with it. But then you see Josh Willingham, with the helmet logo able to be seen completely unobscured, and you're "What in the sam hell were they thinking?!". And "Is the lawyer that said 'go for it!' employed anywhere today?".
Finally, a pack acquired so long ago, I didn't even have the packaging any more. I just put everything into a small slider box, and forgot about them!
Except for Gaetti, nothing too interesting about the first 1/3 of the pack in a photographic sense.  But I do get my first Mets content of the packs.
And they come back-to-back. The Team 2001 insert was successful in predicting that Sanders would still be in baseball in 2001. Looking at the checklist, the overall average seems pretty good, even including a few HOFers in it. As for the others, only Dan Wilson had a career extend into 2001.
That Pagnozzi isn't the most exciting example of a play-at-the-plate photo. Eddie Murray makes his second appearance, and Ken Griffey Jr is always nice to find in any pack.

There you have it! 9 more to come over the next while. 


1 comment:

  1. I don't remember Vince Coleman as a Royal. I do remember chasing Pinnacle Team 2000/2001 inserts though. Went through far too many bland black-bordered cards just to pull those and (if I was really lucky) a Team Pinnacle or two.

    ReplyDelete