Saturday 27 September 2014

2014 Adventures in Repacks: Part 55: The rest of the cube

I know I should get back to the box of Heritage Minors, but that can wait, seeing as I've already done two posts on this hockey card cube and am yet to make even a dent into it. I've already highlighted a pack of Zenith that contained the Beuce Boudreau auto, and the Kitchener Rangers and Owen Sound Attack alumni in the repack. Since the last one of these saw me start with the loose cards, I'll lead with the packs this time.

And since I did the first group of packs chronologically, these will go in reverse chronological order. Since I did technically lead with 10-11 Zenith.

Up first then will be 08-09 Victory.
Martin St. Louis, Gilbert Brule, Jason Arnott, Justin Williams, Ryan Malone, Tom Cavanagh

Pretty bland start, but Tom Cavanagh is an interesting addition, although his story is pretty sad. Mental illness is a nasty opponent.

2008-09 Collector's Choice:
Mike Modano, Matthew Lombardi, Darren Helm, Joe Thornton Reserve, Andrei Kostitsyn, Johan Franzen

The Helm is the same rookie I got in my previous busting of this box that contained the same product.

2007 Victory:

Cory Stillman, Viktor Kozlov, Frederik Norrena, Patrick Marleau, Eric Staal EA Sports, Cam Ward Game Breaker
WOO-HOO! A card of 2/14 baby Viktor Kozlov that I didn't have! And he's one of the guys I really actively collect, since he's a perfect match with the year as well. Norrena will join the masks binder.

1998 Choice:
Pavel Bure Starquest, Wayne Gretzky Starquest, Phil Housley, Ray Bourque, Damian Rhodes, Jason Arnott

Can't get too upset at pulling a Gretzky in anything, even if there is peeling. I'm always happy to add my first Sens card of the cube, and that Arnott parallel is all kinds of garish.

1997 Pinnacle Certified: Guy Hebert, Dino Ciccarelli, Adam Oates, Mike Modano, Alexander Mogilny, Bernie Nichols
As with the last time, these are also warped. So, here's the mask binder card in the Hebert. A nice group of HOFers in this pack, though.

Time to show off some stickers!
There was too much to list everything, but there were a trio of mask binder stickers in the 2008-09 stuff.
As for the 09-10, the highlight here was a quartet of Senators, and a second part of the 4 piece Wrigley puzzle that appeared in the last repack. I really should really hunt down the other two.

And now, the highlights from the random 55 cards.
There always seems to be a parallel in the group of cards - in this case, a red parallel of Toews. A slight bit of dinging in the corners, but I don't think 2*3 Heroes will complain when it ends up his way.
The photo war was won by Upper Deck, as can be expected, with a pair of trophies making appearances. Lord Stanley's Mug always looks spectacular on any card, and the Conn Smythe is lurking next to Malkin during a Stanley Cup post celebration.
Lots of mask binder stuff for both my binders - which I separate into pre and post 2005.
Only one Senators card in the mix - this Craig Anderson.

But, my personal fave in this binch was a second 2/14 card from Victory with this Milan Hejduk. My favourite base cards from this repack were both Victory issues. What are the chances?

So, there really was no need to ask Cards or Cube this time, as that had already been decided with the appearance of the Boudreau auto. But there was still enough in the rest of the content to give the nod to the card content, even without the auto.

No comments:

Post a Comment